AN URGENT CALL TO ACTION:
Declare Intimate Partner Violence an Epidemic in Toronto
July 6, 2023.
Aura Freedom and Women’s Habitat of Etobicoke, along with other organizations, grassroots groups, advocates, survivors, and more, are calling on the City of Toronto to declare Intimate Partner Violence an epidemic.
Yes, an epidemic.
Intimate Partner Violence affects every single aspect of life in Toronto. From housing and food security, to health, education, and the economy.
Women’s lives are, quite literally, on the line as we see a rise in femicide and hate crimes against women on public transit. Intimate Partner Violence and Violence Against Women have already been recognized as an epidemic in 30 municipalities across Ontario, following the jury recommendations resulting from the groundbreaking Renfrew County inquest into the murders of Carol Culleton, Anastasia Kuzyk and Nathalie Warmerdam.
We know that male violence against women is one of the greatest barriers to achieving a healthy and thriving city.
Bold and urgent action is needed now.
Toronto leadership, are you with us?
A Call for Organizational Endorsements
To endorse this Urgent Call to Action, email firstname.lastname@example.org with your organization’s name and “Endorsement for Toronto IPV Epidemic” in the subject line and we will add it to our list of endorsements below. Please note that while organizational endorsements will be listed below, individual endorsements will be kept private.
This list is updated every 1-2 days, please check back regularly for an updated list.
- Abrigo Centre
- AIDS Committee of Toronto
- Albion Neighbourhood Services
- Anduhyaun Inc.
- Assaulted Women’s Helpline
- Barbra Schlifer Commemorative Clinic
- Bethesda House
- Canadian Centre for Women’s Empowerment
- Canadian Centre to End Human Trafficking
- Canadian Centre for Victims of Torture
- Canadian Femicide Observatory for Justice and Accountability
- Canadian Network for the Prevention of Elder Abuse
- Caribbean African Canadian Social Services
- Centre for the Study of Social and Legal Responses to Violence, University of Guelph
- Community Family Services of Ontario
- Elizabeth Fry Toronto
- Embrave Agency to End Violence
- End Female Genital Mutilation/Cutting Network Canada
- Ernestine’s Women’s Shelter
- Family Service Toronto
- FCJ Refugee Centre
- Good To Be Good
- LAMP Community Health Centre
- Native Women’s Resource Centre of Toronto
- Parkdale Queen West Community Health Care Centre
- Peel Regional Council
- Safe Hope Home
- Safe Transitions
- S.E.A.S. Centre
- Settlement Assistance and Family Support Services
- South Asian Women’s Centre
- Stonegate Community Health Centre
- The Child Development Institute
- The I Do! Forced Marriage Project
- Toronto Rape Crisis Centre/Multicultural Women Against Rape
- Victim Services Toronto
- White Ribbon
- Woman Abuse Council of Toronto
- Women At The Centre
- Women Won’t Forget
- Yorktown Family Services: Violence Against Women Services
- YWCA Toronto